Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Martin Scorsese Films

thought we'd take a look at the best Martin Scorsese films, in honor of last week's THE DEPARTED


#10 GOODFELLAS - I do not care for this film, never have, but if I don't put it on the list Ajax (and possibly Kapgar) might die of aploplexy

#9 THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST - I remember when I first saw it I was shocked at the clever subversiveness. I now think it was a well-intentioned effort that just did not quite come off.

#8 MEAN STREETS - Powerful in its simplicity

#7 THE AVIATOR - Stunning visual work, a powerful film, but just not...I don't even know what I'm trying to say. There was some spark missing. Still, probably the best film of '04.

#6 CAPE FEARE - I rate this much higher than anyone else. Maybe it was a THAT TIME/THAT PLACE kind of experience for me, but De Niro, Nolte and Lange are so good, and the weird sexual tension triangle between De Niro, Nolte and Juliette Lewis just got me. (That scene with De Niro's thumb? I can still see it perfectly.) I love this movie.

#5 GANGS OF NEW YORK - I picked this for my Best Picture winner in '02, for its ambition,although there certainly are flaws. I love Scorsese's understanding of Tribalism, and Daniel Day-Lewis's performance is legendary. This is such an ambitious film, unmakable by any other filmmaker in the world.

#4 THE DEPARTED - I'm leery putting THE DEPARTED here on only one viewing (have seen the others all at least twice), but this is my initial assessment. I cannot think of one single flaw in the film, which takes it above some of the others, which might have been more ambitious. The cast fit perfectly, each scene moved into the next with ease, and I was absolutely rivited.

#3 TAXI DRIVER - I heard this described once as "The City as a living Night Mare." What a perfect description. Jodie Foster rocks. So does Cybil Shepherd. But Robert DeNiro showed us why--even though he may not always care--he has more talent than anyone in his generation.

#2 THE AGE OF INNOCENCE - This movie gets absolutely forgotten because it came out in the most monster year for movies ever. (EVER!) But get past that and get past the lack of blood: this is some of Scorsese's best work. He makes upper society matter to me in a way it rarely does, and seem as important as life and death. I fell in love with Daniel Day-Lewis here, and Michelle Pfeiffer--never a big favorite of mine--has never ever (EVER!) been better.

#1 RAGING BULL - 20 years from now it will be one of the 2 or 3 best films of the decade. It is sheer perfection, and movie-making on a scale most of us will never glimpse, let alone work in. It breaks my heart every time I see how good DeNiro is to think he is capable of that, but instead is now satisfied with shit like MEET THE FOCKERS and SHOWTIME. One of the 5 greatest acting performances in history, and a film so beautiful it takes my breath away.