Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Best of the '90s: #7


1996 was a great year for movies. They hit all over the place, and foreign films (at least, foreign made, if not foregin language) were big as well. One of the best reviewed movies was FARGO, but for the life of me I haven’t been able to get into it, though I’ve tried. Some movies you’re just not meant to like, I guess.

But there were plenty I loved. Popcorn flicks like MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, THE ROCK, LONG KISS GOODNIGHT, INDEPENDENCE DAY, and TIN CUP.

There were several movies that might make the list, if only I’d seen them, like WHEN WE WERE KINGS, SLING BLADE, SHINE, GHOSTS OF MISSISSIPPI, PORTRAIT OF A LADY, and STEALING BEAUTY.

There were other very good movies that just didn’t make the top ten, films like LONESTAR, HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DANE, PHENOMENON, COURAGE UNDER FIRE, TRAINSPOTTING, A TIME TO KILL, SLEEPERS, MARVIN'S ROOM, EMMA, PRIMAL FEAR and TWISTER.

Laureate was consulted on this list, a great help. His major disagreements would mean including TRAINSPOTTING, LOOKING FOR RICHARD, MARS ATTACKS, and FARGO.

Finally, there were my personal favorites from the eyar, movies that I watch over and over again: FROM DUSK TIL DAWN, BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, and GHOST IN THE SHELL.

But after careful and agonizing consideration, these were the best films of 1996. (I am splitting it in to because there is so much I want to say about each one.)

#10 EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU – Have you ever wanted to hear Julia Roberts sing? Me neither, but somehow it works in this clever sly sweet funny comedy/musical. A Woody Allen film, but I would imagine anyone who enjoyes intelligent humor would enjoy the time spent. Stand outs include Edward Norton, Tim Roth, and a young delicious Natalie Portman.

#9 JERRY MAGUIRE – This movie was so big that many of the lines have become cliched. People forget how good it actually is. Somehow the earnestness works. If you haven’t seen it, see it now. And if you haven’t seen it in a few years, rent it again. Just ask my brother.

#8 BOUND – Before they made THE MATRIX, the Wachowski Brothers made this nifty little film noir. There are, ahem, interesting females, doing interesting things. I can still remember seeing this with my brother Achmed, and after a particularly wonderful scene, Achmed turning to me and saying, “This is the greatest movie I’ve ever seen.” Joe Pantalino and Gina Gershon are fabulous, but it’s Jennifer Tilly who steals the show. This movie is not for kids, but if you enjoy crime thrillers with a brain (and a pulse!), you’ll definitely want to check out BOUND.

#7 ANGELS AND INSECTS – An English film, which some people really hate, but there is a great treasure to be had here. The film is dy and serious, but pay attention to what’s going on just below the surface. There is a secret, one so dark that one character remarks, “Whom can I tell that I would not destroy in the telling?” The ending pay off is immense, and makes any slowness worth your time.

#6 THE CRUCIBLE – They took out Arthur Miller’s original Communist Witch Hunt analogy(although: he wrote the screenplay, so I suppose he did), but this adaptation of THE CRUCIBLE is still awesome. Joan Allen is amazing, Daniel Day-Lewis, one of my favorites, is incredible, Winona Ryder as Abigail Williams is very good as the vixen who causes all the trouble. You can see how she’d tempt men, make them lose their souls. Paul Scofield as Cotton Mather is so venal…I hate that guy! From the opening scenes to the harrowing end there is a menace and a undercurrent going on, enough to make my gut tighten. I felt like I was there. I liked how dirty everyone was too; something you rarely see in a period film, but very accurate. Mostly, I liked what this film made me think about.

Up next: The second half of 1996's top ten