Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Songs to Drive to

This was such a hard list to do! I realized that I didn’t specify I was looking for songs that were real upbeat, and several people correctly pointed out that on long trips a slow set can be perfect. However, to help me narrow it down I tried to look for songs that were explosive (beating on the steering wheel), you could sing to, and only one song per artist (or it could get really messy).

Even by those standards I could only get down to 150. Koz helped me knock it down to 80, which were so good that I have like 50 honorable mentions at the bottom. Finally I decided on 30 songs. Seriously: you could make the coolest road CD ever by taking these 80 songs.

Anyway, with much sweat and tears on my part (and HUGE thank yous to everyone who wrote in, many of you edumacating me on some good music), here you go:




THE TOP 30 SONGS TO DRIVE TO


#30 LAST SASKATCHEWAN PIRATE (Angry Worms) – I’d never heard of it before this, but I took a listen and had to agree it was pretty cool. Plus, being a pirate!

#29 DREAMS (Van Halen) – This is another I really didn’t know, but have to agree it goes on the list. Personally I’d pick JUMP, but several had this on their list, so I’ll bow.

#28 SUMMER OF ’69 (Bryan Adams) – I wouldn’t put this on my list, but quite a few of you did, so it goes here.

#27 BULLET WITH BUTTERFLY WINGS (Smashing Pumpkins) – I thought this was “Ready to Cage” growing up. Am I the only one?

#26 SUMMERTIME (DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince) – This is a smooth groove song, and makes me wish I had a convertible just to drive around playing it

#25 I WILL SURVIVE (Donna Summers) – Just one cool lady

#24 SWEET HOME ALABAMA (Lynyrd Skynyrd) – A bonus for putting this song on the list; I just figured out how to spell the band’s name.

#23 MONEY FOR NOTHING (Dire Straits) – If only for that sweet beginning.

#22 CALIFORNIA DREAMING (Mamas and Papas) – Okay, this doesn’t rock, but it’s pretty sweet to sing while driving.

#21 HOT IN HERRE (Nelly) – You can trash this choice if you want, but you know when it comes on you sing it too.

#20 SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT (Nirvana) – This would be even higher if I could actually decipher the lyrics enough to sing along more than “na na na na”

#19 DEVIL INSIDE (INXS) – Laureate correctly points out NEED YOU TONIGHT would be great for parking, but tooling around I’ll take this.

#18 EVERYBODY’S WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND (Loverboy) – This is THE perfect Friday afternoon song.

#17 ENTER SANDMAN (Metallica) – this video scared me too.

#16 MY PREROGATIVE (Bobby Brown) – I wish Bobby still sang instead of his current career of beating and getting beaten by Whitney

#15 POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME (Def Leppard) – I broke a friend’s steering wheel once rocking out to this.

#14 BLACK DOG (Led Zeppelin) – Side one of 4 could go on en masse, but if I had to pick one, this’d be it.

#13 EVERYTHING ZEN (Bush) – this video scares me, but the song sure rocks

#12 BULLS ON PARADE (Rage Against the Machine) – I hate their politics, but I sure love to make sound effects along with this song (you know what part).

#11 SLOW RIDE (Foghat) – If I had a child, I’d name him Foghat.




#10 LOW RIDER (War) – The second of what could have been 5 songs from DAZED AND CONFUSED (sorry Alice Cooper). This is the best groove song on the list.



#09 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART (Bonnie Tyler) – The Second most listed song, I wouldn’t normally consider it, but I can just see people singing it in their car, and I have to agree.



#08 STAYIN’ ALIVE (Bee Gees) – How do you pick just one song by them? This was tough, as I love all the Brothers’ output.



#07 NOTHING BUT A G THANG (Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg) – When I said LOW RIDER was the best groove song, I may have spoke too soon. This song makes me wish I had hydraulics.



#06 SWEET CHILD OF MINE (Guns N Roses) – Another group I could pick 50 of their songs, but this one never lets up.



#05 THAT’S THE WAY (UH HUH, UH HUH) I LIKE IT (KC and the Sunshine Band) - Were those guys ever sober?




#04 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Queen) – Way too long and slow, but c’mon. Who hasn’t sang this with their friends? Wayne and Garth live forever.



#03 BORN TO BE WILD (Steppenwolf) – The most requested song, by far. How can I argue?



#02 I WANT YOU TO WANT ME (Cheap Trick) – Just now half the girls reading were shocked to find out this song doesn’t come from the 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU soundtrack, although I like that version too. This song just rules.

and the Number One song to drive to…



#1 LIFE IS A HIGHWAY (Tom Cochrane) - You can disagree. Hell, maybe even I would if I did this list tomorrow. But to me, HIGHWAY is a perfect driving song. Easy to sing, easy to keep beat, does that a cappella thing. Can’t improve on perfection.

HONORABLE MENTION

1999; 99 Luftballoons; All Star; As Heaven is Wide; Atom Bomb; Bad Touch; BARBRA-ANNE; BEAUTIFUL DAY; BILLIE JEAN; BLACK; BORN TO BE WILD; BORN TO RUN; Brass Monkey; CALIFORNIA ONE; CAN’T TOUCH THIS; CRAZY; DANCING QUEEN; DREAM ON; FEEL GOOD; Fire It Up; Firestarter; FREE FALLIN’; GARDEN STATE SOUNDTRACK; Gettin’ Jiggy With It; HOTEL CALIFORNIA; Hungry Like the a wolf; I CAN FEEL IT COMING IN THE AIR OF NIGHT; I DON’T WANT TO RUN AWAY; I WANT YOUR SEX; IT’S MY LIFE; IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD; JEREMY; JUMP; LIKE A PRAYER; LITTLE DEUCE COUPE; LITTLE RED CORVETTE; ME AND BOBBY MCGEE; ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG; OPEN ROAD SONG; PARADISE BY THE DASHBOARD LIGHT; PERSONAL JESUS; REARVIEW MIRROR; SANTA MONICA; SCAR-TISSUE; SEMI-CHARMED KIND OF LIFE; Send Me an Angel; SINCE YOU BEEN GONE; SMOOTH CRIMINAL; SOLITAIRE; SOUL CITY; STEAL MY SUNSHINE; The Distance; TODAY IS THE GREATEST DAY I’VE EVER KNOWN; TOXIC; TRAGEDY; WALKING ON SUNSHINE; We Didn’t Start the Fire; WHAT’S GOING ON; YEAH; YOU GOT TO FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO PARTY; YOUR MAMMA DON’T DANCE; YOUTH AND BEAUTY BRIGADE

Up next: Rewatchable Movies