Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Watchable Movies (Part 3)

I’ve enjoyed the dueling Top Ten lists this week. Today I have my cousin Jonny (note: first non-alias!) and Aviendha.

Sadly, Jonny refused to abide by what everyone was instructed: try to limit big-name movies, but then again, since when does family every listen? Nonetheless, a fine list.

1.Star Wars Episode 6: The Return of the Jedi- This one's all about redemption, sacrifice, and over coming terrible odds...not to mention that the entire dealings between the Emperor, Darth Vader and Luke are the best scenes I have ever seen in any film....ever.

2. Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back- We as Americans have all heard it thousands of times:” Luke, I am your Father" (Actually, in the film its, "No, I am your Father) Though often misquoted, it is still, mind-blowing.

3. The Shawshank Redemption- This ones got more great quotes than the Bible....Okay, not really, but its got quite a few. Throw in a great score, and top notch performances from Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, and, Viola'....Fantastic.

4. Pulp Fiction- Revolutionary, every day casual, funny, dark, ironic, profound. These words all describe the masterpiece that is Pulp Fiction. No one had ever seen anything like this, and never will we again. Plus, I (heart) Tarantino.

5. Fight Club- We all want to have as strong a resolve as Tyler Durden. Fight Club takes American society and hangs it out to dry. This ones as brutal as it is insightful. Brad Pitt and Ed Norton shine.

6. Chasing Amy- Kevin Smith is one of the most truthful and insightful (sorry to use this word twice) writers I have come across. Plus Holden McNeil is one of the most relatable characters I have seen, and no one likes to feel that they are alone in the world.

7. The Lord of the Rings (Yes its all one movie, it was filmed as one, and the books were written as one, unlike Star Wars) Anyone who has seen this knows that it needs no explanation. Those that haven't simply suck at life and I don't care what they think.

8. Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope- Again, completely revolutionary. This is as timeless a classic as you could hope to find.

9. American Beauty- If Fight Club gets at American society, this one gets inside and exposes the lifeless, hopeless American home. Truth is beauty, and this ones got lots of it.

10. Dumb and Dumber- Completely changed comedy forever. Jim Carry gives an incredible performance which is often overlooked by all of the slapstick humor, which I for one can't get enough of.

Aviendha’s list is very cute, and I think now she needs a Care Bear name. I would also like to note she’s the first to give me her list in 10-1 format, so extra cool points for her.

10. Rear Window--My favorite Hitchcock movie, partly because I love Jimmy Stewart, and partly because it freaks me out continuously

9. History of the World, Part One--I absolutely love Mel Brooks. I get caught up in this movie so easily, especially if it hasn't gotten to my favorite part yet, the Spanish Inquisition

8. The Care Bears Movie--It's a throwback to my childhood that, although I realize is ridiculous, I still adore.

7. Dirty Dancing--Nobody puts Baby in the corner...

6. Harry Potter--I prefer the third one, which I've now seen at least 10 times, but really any one will do.

5. The Shawshank Redemption--Every time it's on TNT I just get drawn back in

4. The Great Escape--I just love watching Steve McQueen on his motorbike

3. Arsenic and Old Lace--Really any Cary Grant comedy does it, but this movie will always crack me up

2. Lord of the Rings--Even if I don't have time to watch the whole thing, I will just pop in any one of the trilogy and watch for a while at least once a month

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail--I don't believe I will ever tire of some of the jokes in this movie, and will watch several scenes over and over again (Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries)

Up next: Quincy and Jerrica