Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Watchable Movies (Part 4)

The Fast Food lists have been few and far between. I think what I’m trying to say is: with a few exceptions, you all suck. I’m extending it a day or two in the hopes that somewhere out there you care.

In the meantime, we have our last in the series of Guest Lists, at least for this topic. I wouldn’t mind doing this some more this month. If you have a list you’d like to contribute, write and tell me the idea. I’m pretty mellow in August.

First up, Jerrica:

10. Back to the Future: Scoff if you will, but who among us hasn't watched at least 30 minutes of this classic every time TBS has a weekend showing, and I mean every time it's on within the same day.

9. Jerry Maguire: Somehow watching Tom Cruise act desperate and idiotic DOESN'T get old if it's opposite Cuba and Renee.

8. Grease: A Whop-bop-aloo-bop....this movie is always fun. Olivia Newton John in black lycra, and John Travolta using saran wrap as a condom? Does any movie need more? A Whop-bam-boom!

7. Groundhog Day: "This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather."

6. Dazed and Confused: "Marijuana on one. Reefer on two." Who's with me? [Editor’s note: I’m pretty sure she means “who’s with me on watching?” not “who’s with me on smoking up?”]

5. Home Alone: This movie is incredible! I'm gonna give you till the count of ten to get your ugly, yella, no good keiester watching this movie. 1-2-10!

4. Breakfast Club: I always wanted to be part of the Brat Pack. This movie gave us so much from Emilio "dancing" to Molly finally acting a little slutty! Viva-la- John Hughes!

3. Princess Bride: Come on people...Andre the Giant rhyming, Inigo repeating himself, and a priest with a speech impediment? Cinema can't get any better.

2. Star Wars Episode VI- Return of the Jedi: Maybe I'm a sucker for happy endings, but to me nothing is better than epic battles, Darth Vader's redemption, and most of all... EWOKS!!!!

  1. A&E's Pride and Prejudice: Maybe you need an inordinate amount of estrogen to enjoy watching all 5 hours repeatedly, but Jane Austin and Colin Firth will always remain at the top of my list.

And last, the place of honor goes to Quincy, whom as many of you know recently moved from here, no longer to be a youth pastor, now to host the game show OBLIVIOUS. Good luck with that.

10) The Muppets Take Manhattan - Kermit, Piggy, and the gang head to New York. TV's "Muppet Show" was must see TV for me and my family while I was growing up.

9) Alien - Scares the crap out of me every time I watch it. I was way too young when I watched it (at a Children's Sunday School party sleepover) the first time. I maintain it's the most suspenseful movie ever made.

8) Crimson Tide - My favorite submarine move, but I also like Hunt for Red October and U-571. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman's characters fight toe to toe like baseball manager and umpire. Great drama! Great music (see below).

7) Sneakers - A great adventurous flick about computers and hacking before the world witnessed the wide web we now know as the internet. A fantastic film for a guy who was considering computer programming as a profession back when it was released.

6) Tombstone - A college favorite. Watched it many times in the dorm. "I'm your huckleberry." [Editor’s note: if you made a list of best movie quotes from the ‘90s (and maybe we should), this HAS to be in the top 5, right?]

5) Goonies - A childhood favorite with lots of memorable moments. Sean Austin as "Mikey" before he was "Rudy" and "Samwise Gamgee".

4) UHF - Featuring a pre-Kramer Michael Richards and Weird Al. Great stupid movie with a lot of quotable lines - "You're a lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink from... the FIRE HOOOOOSE! " Kinda like a late 80's Napoleon Dynamite.

3) So I Married an Axe Murderer - Watched it at least a dozen times my sophomore year of college. "...most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare." Great music from the Spin Doctors. Anybody ever wonder what Six Pence was doing when they re-recorded the "There She Goes Again" song?

2) Top Gun - Whether it's replaying on cable or shown on all the demo-model TV's at the store, I always have to pause and watch for a while. One of the coolest movies ever made. Ever!

1) The Power of One - Emotional story of racism in South Africa during WWII. Features a boisterous score by Hans Zimmer before he became popular doing music for The Lion King and Crimson Tide.

Up next: maybe fast food, if I get some more answers. Come on, people: throw me a frickin’ bone, here!